EU Settlement Scheme

The EU Settlement Scheme enables EU nationals living in the UK, and their family members, to obtain the UK immigration status they will require to live, work and study in the UK after Britain leaves the EU. 

If you are a European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen who wants to live, work or study in the UK after Britain leaves the EU, you and your family need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.  


Applications to the EU Settlement Scheme must be made before 30 June 2021 or 31 December 2020 if there is a no-deal exit. 

Newport Register Office offers a document scanning service where you can get your ID documents scanned and verified in order to make an application.  

The service is available between 9am and 3pm on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, and between 9.30am and 3pm on Tuesdays.

No appointment is required but you may need to wait for a member of staff to be available.

You will need to bring:

  • your current valid biometric EU, EEA or Swiss passport or a valid Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • a mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email
  • £14 per adult applicant (no charge for children under 18 who attend at the same time as an adult applicant) - cash or card is accepted. 

NB: Only the ID documents listed above can be checked by us.

Once your documents have been scanned, you should follow the link below to apply:

Apply to the EU Settled Status Scheme 

Help and advice

A number of services in Newport can help you with your application, provide advice or attend the scanning service with you.

Read more on the Welsh Government EU Settled Status Scheme site.  

If you would like help contacting an organisation who can support you, please email

TRA113729 8/1/2020